Friday, May 16, 2008

What to do about mold

Oh, this is the weaver's worst nightmare.

If you have no dyed reed in your basket you might try a light solution of bleach water. If it's just in a small space you might try a Q-Tip to put the bleach solution directly on the moldy spot.

However, if you have dyed reed in your basket, about the only thing you can do is throw it away....:(


Sue said...

I just came across your blog! Great stuff!

A couple of years ago I had to throw away all of my reed as well as a couple of my most prized projects- my first three baskets ever made- because the apartment we were renting at the time was totally taken over by mold.. furniture, everything. It was a disaster :( It is nasty stuff!! Even though we're in a new (and dry!) house now, I have taken to putting those little silicone "Do Not Eat" packets in my storage containers to help keep the moisture away.

Cherokee Baskets said...

Oh, this sounds like a great idea! any links where you can get these on the web?

Sue said...

I haven't ever gone looking! I just collect them as I come across them in new shoe boxes, etc. I'm sure there must be a place that sells them, though!

J.R. said...

I've had some luck with getting mold off of a colored reed basket by placing the basket inside a plastic bag and putting it in the freezer overnight. The next morning, I take a soft bristled brush to the area, and the mold comes right off. In all honesty, though, I've never had a serious incident with mold. It's always been a few spots here and there, so I can't say for sure if this will work for major problems. But at least it would be better try to before throwing away any of your treasures.